Diarios de Motocicletas

6/17/2012

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

When I had to study this film for Spanish Extension for the HSC, I thought I was going to hate it. Anytime I had to watch or read something for school, I would get so sick of and want to punch it in the face. However, there was something about Diarios de Motocicletas (Motorcycle Diaries) that draws me in every time.


Based on the diaries of Ernesto 'Che' Guevarra, the film shows Ernesto and his best friend Alberto Granado on a trip around their native South America, and the people and places they encounter.

As cheesy as it sounds, this movie really did change my life. It conjured up images of a South America that I never knew existed and I was intrigued go and visit the countries that these men were able to explore. Whenever I went to visit my family in Colombia, we never went to other South American countries and last year, I had the opportunity to go and explore Cusco in Peru, with the highlight being Machu Picchu. There is something so spiritual about that place in a way that is so pure that it can only be experienced. As Ernesto says, "How is it possible to feel nostalgia for a world I never knew?"

Regardless of what you think about their politics, Diarios de Motocicletas is a beautifully shot movie which shows South America at its best and tells the tale of two friends who wanted to travel just for the sake of it. 

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Replies
    1. it's such a good movie, you should watch it!

      Delete
  2. you win. i added to my movies list. the last still is so beautiful and what is written is so true. argh i want to know all about this south america you are describing now. can i put the last image on my tumblr with a link to this post ? thank you this inspired me strangely a lot
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aïcha: the last shot always brings a tear to my eye, I am way too attached to this movie haha. South America is unlike anything you will experience, the people are amazing and the countries deliver the goods. Of course you can use the image, I'm glad you enjoyed the film!

      Delete